Welcome to DomUI!
What is it?
DomUI is an easy to use framework to create AJAX
For a more detailed overview see .
Where does this come from?
- DomUI was built for and open-sourced by , a Dutch company which builds ERP software for social housing companies. The code was designed and built by , Itris' IT Architect.
- , a software engineering company specialized in custom software development, has used it to create complex parts of an ERP application. They did early proof-of-concept work and have also worked on the DomUI code. is from EXECOM and has intricate knowledge of the framework.
When should I use it?
Use DomUI to create large web-based applications where there are lots of input and data screens. Using the (optional) metadata layer you can very quickly create all kinds of CRUD screens. The rich, generic and extensible metadata layer helps you by retrieving information in your (data) model classes, database etc. so that you do not have to define the same thing over and over again. One definition of "This string field is 30 characters long", for instance as a JPA/Hibernate annotation on a property, is all it takes to have all edit components reuse that value automatically. The stateful page handling makes handling data easy, and prevents serialization headaches. Code easily, like we did 10 years ago, just as if you're the only user on a PC, using the web technology of today!
Why should I not use DomUI?
- DomUI can be styled at will, but if your goal is to create an uber-flashy piece of eye-candy of only 4 pages then DomUI is not for you.
- The statefulness of the UI means that developers are extremely productive and can make lots of complicated forms in a short time. But "No pain, no gain": this means UI's written in DomUI use more server resources. The design goal for DomUI was to support 100 simultaneous users on a single piece of hardware. This does not mean that your app cannot grow beyond that! But you need more hardware (more machines) to support more users. If you're writing the next EBay or Google, and have to serve 10.000+ simultaneous users per server then DomUI is not for you..
Wow! Where can I get this?
- The code was released on January 28, 2011 using the LGPL 2.1 license. This allows commercial use without having to open-source your application too. In return we ask only that you return fixes and additions to the DomUI code itself.
- We are still busy adding documentation and tutorials. In the meantime: ask questions if you have them by becoming a member of one of the mailing lists:
- for announcements
- for users of DomUI
- when you're developing for DomUI itself
- The project is maintained as a project. Here you find the , , and the . There is also an experimental project.
- We're using for version control to allow distributed development.
- This site contains the for the code, to help you with learning and a for those questions that are frequently asked.